Being the blog of Pete Hopkins. This pirate kills fascists.

Saturday, February 2

The Best of Fairport Convention, 1969–1976

Several summers ago I spent a few months solid playing Alpha Centauri and listening to a mix tape my brother made from his Fairport Convention CDs. Though the cassette is lost (and who has a player anymore, anyway?), I’ve been carrying around the track list from apartment to apartment since, hoping to re-create it in iTunes.

Here is the track list, recorded for posterity and so I can finally pitch the tape liner note card before I lose it.

Side A
  1. Come All Ye
  2. The Journeyman’s Grace
  3. Genesis Hall
  4. The Hexhamshire Lass
  5. Matty Groves
  6. The Plainsman
  7. Percy’s Song
  8. Dirty Linen
  9. Who Knows Where the Time Goes?
  10. Million Dollar Bash
Side B
  1. Rising for the Moon
  2. Fotheringay
  3. Walk Awhile
  4. Crazy Man Michael
  5. Meet on the Ledge
  6. Sir Patrick Spens
  7. Stranger to Himself
  8. Flatback Caper
  9. One More Chance
  10. Flowers of the Forest
  11. Farewell, Farewell

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:30 AM

    Good times. I remember making that tape, and I remember you taking to it...summer of 2001 I think (just before I moved out here). Though I thought I gave you some FC CDs at some point? A copy of "Full House" autographed by Simon Nicol and Dave Pegg, no? Maybe they got lost along the way. These things happen.

    The problem with FC is that the classic albums on Island Records from the 1960s and 1970s go in and out of print in the US, and are currently out, with the possible exception of "Liege & Lief." You can get most of the way there with the 2-CD compilation "Meet on the Ledge," apparently available on iTunes, which includes everything on the tape except "Linen," "Bash," "Spens," "Caper," and "Flowers." For all of those except "Bash" you need "Full House." ("Bash" is on "Unhalfbricking.") Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:09 AM

    Cool, I hadn't realized that I was as close as I was. I have "Ledge" and "Full House" ripped. (As well as some of the "later years" from Emusic... best not to talk about those.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:45 PM

    I was thinking about how I might make some different choices if I were to compile that tape today. At some point nostalgia prevails, but geez "One More Chance" is a long song. You could fit two bad boys in that slot. "John Lee," say, and either "Now Be Thankful" or "Rosie"...or something off of "What We Did..." which is kind of underrepresented. "Tale In Hard Time"? "Mr. Lacey"? Anyway, iTunes playlists make the issue kind of moot, but in some ways the mix-tape time limit exerts a certain kind of beneficial discipline on matters, just as the 45 RPM 7-inch single kept songs in the '60s nice and tight until the drugs started taking over.

    ReplyDelete